The Department of Food and Nutrition (FN) at the Akij College of Home Economics (ACHE) emphasizes the sciences and research principles for nutrition, foods, and food service administration to promote a safe, nutritious, accessible, and affordable food supply to enhance human health. The department offers undergraduate and postgraduate studies in Food and Nutrition. The department offers a multi-disciplinary team effort to enhance the student’s practice based learning experience and provides a rich opportunity to undertake research in a range of areas with staff expertise stretching across the lifespan.
The department of Food and Nutrition of ACHE will provide high quality, innovative food and nutrition education along with the necessary communication skills to prepare future entry-level nutritional professional and leaders in this field who will promote healthy food and nutrition practices across the country and world. The program vision is that the program will be recognized for producing graduates with critical thinking and problem solving skills and a thirst for life-long learning, who stay abreast of knowledge to provide effective evidence-based nutrition care and theory-based nutrition education to the community.
To provide comprehensive education in Food and Nutrition for good health with the choice of specializing in a number of topics and in a range of contexts.
Provide students with a strong foundation in the basic sciences, research and application of nutrition, food science and management areas to prepare them for future well-being.
To prepare future nutritionists to become leaders in the field with a high level of professionalism.
The program will prepare students to provide evidence-based nutrition services to individuals and community.
A graduate with a B.Sc in Food and Nutritionis qualified to work in various number of areas such as:
Health and Wellness:
- Dietitian in hospitals or other health-care facilities.
- Nutrition educator for educating patients about nutrition and lifestyle.
- Administrator for medical nutrition therapy as part of the health-care team.
- Sports nutrition and corporate wellness programs, educating clients about the connection between food, fitness and health.
Food Service Management:
- Food Service professionals in hospitals, schools, day-care centers, hostels etc.
- May provide services to foodservice or restaurant managers, food vendors and distributors or athletes, nursing home residents or company employees.
Public health nutrition :
- Work as a part of different national and international NGO (eg. WHO, FAO, Unicef, Brac, HKI, Care, WFP etc.) to implement different nutritional policies through nutrition program/ project.
- Involvement for developing nutrition policies and guidelines for different national and vulnerable groups.
Government recruitment :
- The graduates are eligible to apply for BCS exam to be a government service cadre.
- Could be a government employ in different organization e.g. BSTIR, BCSIR, BIRTAN etc.
- Food and nutrition-related business and food industries.
- Private practice, working under contract with health-care or food companies, or in their own business.
- Work in communications, consumer affairs, public relations, marketing, product development or consulting with chefs in restaurants and culinary schools.
Education and Research :
- Research areas in food companies, universities and hospitals directing or conducting experiments and find foods or nutrition recommendations for the public.
- Teaching in colleges, universities and medical centers, teaching/training for physician’s assistants, nurses, dietetics students, dentists and others on the sophisticated science of foods and nutrition.
- Teaching/ training in community and public health settings, monitoring and advising the public and helping improve their quality of life through healthy eating habits.